When should I hire a criminal defense lawyer?
If you’ve recently had a run-in with the law and are facing criminal charges, you may be wondering when, and if, you need to hire a criminal defense attorney. It might be tempting to wait it out and see if charges are filed before consulting with a legal professional, as the obvious downside to hiring an attorney too soon would be the potential costs you would incur. However, in many cases the fees associated with a defense attorney are minimal compared to the life-changing costs that could result from not having the best possible defense in your corner.
Ideally, you’ll want to obtain the services of an experienced criminal defense lawyer as soon as possible after your arrest takes place – especially if you’re facing serious criminal allegations. If you’re being held in jail, you’ll likely be released until your arraignment hearing, which is where you’ll be formally charged and given the opportunity to enter your plea. Speaking to a criminal defense attorney prior to your arraignment will give you a complete understanding of the charges that you’re facing as well as the potential sentencing that could take place if you’re found guilty.
How can a criminal defense lawyer protect your rights?
Hiring a criminal defense law firm to work on your behalf could have a huge impact on the outcome of your case. An experienced defense attorney will work to protect your rights from start to finish. You can expect them to be present during police interrogations, offer you the best advice on plea bargaining and how the outcomes could affect you, they’ll interview witnesses and gather evidence to support your claims, and closely examine any search warrants and evidence brought against you, as well as closely reviewing the results of chemical tests that you may have taken.
Because the team at Syprett Meshad has a thorough understanding of the Florida legal system, along with experience in dealing with cases similar to yours, hiring the right defense attorney is of the utmost importance.
What types of cases should have a criminal defense lawyer?
Generally speaking, anytime you’ve been charged with a crime you’ll want to hire an experienced criminal defense lawyer – this includes crimes that are classified as either misdemeanors or felonies. Criminal defense attorneys cover a wide variety of cases, including, but not limited to:
- Assault and battery – A qualified assault and battery lawyer can guide you through the charges that have been brought against you, and defend you in a court of law.
- Drug related charges – If you’ve been arrested for either buying or selling narcotics, there’s a good chance that the police have been following you, and/or that others are involved. It is in your best interest to hire a drug crime lawyer to advocate on your behalf.
- DUI criminal defense – A criminal defense lawyer who specializes in DUI cases can, at times, use their level of expertise to potentially lead to a more favorable result in court. This could mean a better plea deal or dismissal of charges. Of course, every case is different, however you’ll want a criminal defense lawyer who will give you the best fighting chance right out of the gate.
- Probation violation – Probation revocation hearings are handled differently than a standard trial. Instead of proving beyond a reasonable doubt that you violated the terms of your probation, a probation violation attorney only needs to convince the judge that it’s more probable than not that you violated your probation. To do this, the prosecution is allowed to use evidence they would not have been allowed to use at a jury trial.
- BUI (boating under the influence) – If you are accused of BUI, you could be facing harsh penalties including fines and jail time. An experienced BUI lawyer can help you navigate your rights and prepare the most aggressive defense on your behalf.
What should you do next?
When you’re faced with criminal charges that could result in grim penalties, jail time, or hefty fines, you’ll want to begin working with a criminal defense law firm as soon as possible. The experience they’ll bring to the table will better your chances of avoiding a lengthy legal process that could leave you facing harsh penalties.
Our experienced team of criminal defense lawyers at Syprett Meshad understand the Florida legal system and have represented thousands of clients in criminal cases throughout Sarasota, Bradenton, Lakewood Ranch, North Port, and the Venice areas. Contact our team today, to schedule a consultation by calling 941-365-7171.