The idea of a slip and fall accident may elicit images of embarrassment and minor bumps and bruises. However, slip and fall accidents are the second leading cause of death on the United States, resulting in almost 17,000 fatalities every year. The National Floor Safety Institute (NFSI) also reports that these unfortunate accidents are the leading cause of emergency room visits each year in the U.S.
Falls can lead to severe injuries that require extensive medical care and extended periods away from work. If you or someone you love has been injured in a slip and fall accident, please contact the experienced attorney at Syprett Meshad today by completing the form on this page or calling 941-365-7171 to discuss your case for free. We help injury victims throughout Florida, including the Sarasota and Bradenton areas.
Common Causes of Slip and Fall Accidents
With over 50 years of handling premises liability cases, Syprett Meshad has seen many different, but extremely serious injuries stemming from a variety of slip and fall accidents. Some common causes of falls include:
- Cracked or uneven pavement
- Spilled water or other liquids
- Inadequate lighting
- Objects congesting or blocking a walkway
- Bunched up carpets or rugs
- Poorly maintained stairs
- Unstable hand rails
If injuries are sustained on dangerous premises, the property owner can also be held responsible for failing to post warnings about potential hazards. Improper security can also lead to an accident if a dangerous area isn’t properly cordoned off from the public.
Damages in a Slip and Fall Claim
In a Florida slip and fall case, our experienced attorney can help you pursue compensation for:
- Medical expenses: You may be eligible to obtain compensation for any medical costs incurred as a result of your injury. This can include doctor visits, surgeries, physical therapy, medications and long-term care. Depending on the severity of your injury, you may also seek compensation for necessary home and vehicle modifications.
- Lost wages: If your injuries prohibit you from going to work, you can pursue compensation for lost wages as well diminished earning potential in the future.
- Pain and suffering: In a slip and fall case, you may be entitled to damages related to any ongoing physical or emotional pain suffered as a result of your injury.
In the tragic event that a family member dies as a result of someone’s negligence, specific family members may be able to file a wrongful death lawsuit. Damages in these situation can include funeral costs, medical bills and loss of future wages and companionship.
If you or someone you love was hurt in a slip and fall accident, contact our experienced and compassionate attorney today online or at 941-365-7171to schedule a free consultation. We serve residents of Sarasota and Bradenton, Florida.