Sarasota Personal Injury Attorney Scott Westheimer and SMRL’s Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Department have provided these helpful tips.
Automobile accidents are a traumatic event which, unfortunately, most Florida families will deal with at one time in their lives. Every year there are an estimated 10.8 million motor vehicle accidents in the United States. Over 5 million of those accidents produce injury or property damage. In Florida alone, in 2009, there were 235,778 automobile accidents (646 per day), and 2,558 fatalities due to automobile accidents.
Know your rights and be prepared with the following tips from SMRL’s Plaintiffs’ Personal Injury Department:
- Always wear your seatbelt and do not text and drive;
- If you are injured in an automobile accident, seek immediate medical attention and be sure to report all of your injuries, no matter how insignificant they may seem at the time;
- Do not give recorded statements to the opposing side’s insurance company and do not give any statements to your own insurance company without contacting a Plaintiffs’ personal injury attorney to attend the statement with you;
- Carry adequate insurance, including stacked Underinsured/Uninsured Motorist (UM) coverage
- Seek immediate legal assistance from a Plaintiffs’ personal injury attorney as soon as you have finished with your emergency medical treatment.
If you are involved in an auto accident, please feel free to give our personal injury department in Sarasota a call for a free consultation: (941) 365-7171 .